Medical alert systems may save the life of someone you love today. The button device works by connecting the party to an operator who can dispatch family members, or in some cases, notify fire, police, and ambulance services. The necklace or bracelet is worn by the customer and a button is depressed when they are needing help.
The classic example of the alert button is the television commercial of an elderly person falling and pressing the button, saying, “Help, I’ve fallen and can’t get up.” Help is summoned within a few minutes and the person rescued. Because the device has been heavily advertised to the elderly, there is the assumption this is a device only for the elderly. Device distributors are often questioned about the right age or other criteria in determining the helpfulness of a medical bracelet or necklace. Here are a few guidelines:
- Evaluate the medical risk factors of the person, such as falling or passing out unexpectedly.
- If the person is medically fragile, consider the types of medical alert systems on the market today, the necklace and button alerts.
- Consider the type of alert systems compared to the abilities of the person, such as the ability to make phone calls, get up from a fall, or recognize the purpose of the device.
- Consider the motivation of the person, such as their willingness to wear a medical alert necklace or bracelet and their ability to assess their own need and depress the button for help.
- Consider a trial period to evaluate the usefulness of the device and the motivation of the person.
- Shop around. There are several companies on the market which offer similar products at different costs. Many have an initial price for the device and then a monthly charge for the service. Some of the companies require signing a contract agreement.
In summary, the age of the person is not in itself the only criteria for choosing a device. The decision is about practical usefulness of a medical alert necklace or bracelet for the person in need. The professionals at WatchDog LIFEALARM can help you choose the system best for you and your family. Contact WatchDog LIFEALARM for information and to enroll in this life-saving service today.